If you’ve ever wondered what fish to eat on keto, you’re not alone. The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low carbohydrate way of eating which forces the body to burn fat for fuel. Unlike most diets, it doesn’t restrict calories or protein. However, not all foods are created equal when on the keto diet.
Fish is one of the best foods to include in your diet while following this plan because it’s rich in healthy fats and provides an excellent source of lean protein since fish has little to no carbs. There are some things you should watch out for when including fish into your daily meal plan though. Here are five tips for eating fish on keto:
1) Watch how much mayonnaise or sour cream you use with any dish containing tuna as these items often contain hidden sugars.
2) Skip breaded, fried or fatty fish. These are often higher in carbs and calories.
3) Choose wild-caught over farm-raised to avoid high levels of mercury which can accumulate in larger fish like tuna, shark and swordfish.
4) Don’t forget to count the carbs in any added sauces, toppings or condiments you include with your fish dish. These can quickly add up and kick you out of ketosis.
5) Make sure to prepare your fish in a healthier manner by broiling, baking or grilling it without butter.
Now that you know what to do when eating fish on keto, there are a few popular recipes you might want to try. Here are two of our favorites!
Baked Coconut Shrimp
- 1 pound of shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
- 3.5 tablespoons of desiccated unsweetened coconut
Instructions: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir all ingredients together in a bowl, coating the shrimp well with them. Spread out onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the shrimp starts to turn pink and become opaque.
Baked Salmon with Lemon-Garlic Aioli
- 4 medium sized salmon fillets
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise (homemade or Primal Kitchen brand if on Whole30)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. finely chopped rosemary
- juice of one lemon
Instructions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine mayonnaise, garlic and rosemary in small bowl . Squeeze half a lemon’s juice into mixture. Mix well until blended. Rinse salmon fillets with cold water and pat dry. Place salmon on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and sprayed with butter spray (or other non-stick cooking oil). Spread mayonnaise mixture over each fillet evenly. Bake for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Serve immediately while hot and enjoy!
Coconut Crusted Tilapia Ingredients
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Instructions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange shredded coconut in shallow bowl . Pour olive oil into another shallow bowl . Dip each tilapia fillet in egg and allow excess to drip off. Roll in coconut and place on baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and sprayed with butter spray (or other non-stick cooking spray). Bake for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork while being careful not to burn the coconut. Serve immediately while hot and enjoy!
If you’re looking for what fish to eat on keto, you have a lot of options. Make sure to watch your portions and use healthy preparation methods like baking or grilling without butter. If you’d like some tasty recipes to get started, read the above article again.