The banana is the yellow fruit we all know so well and it is also an extremely healthy, vital food that needs to be part of your daily diet.
People who swear by bananas may even call them a super food but why are they so amazing? What makes them so special, deserving such huge praise?
Read this article further to learn the many health benefits these tasty yellow fruits offer to a balanced diet.
Banana Nutrition 101
Basically, we can start with the fact that this fruit is packed full of nutrients:
- Dietary fiber.
Everybody will discern that nutrients are important for the well-being and general health of our bodies.
So this being the case, let’s go through some more detailed specifics on how those elements come together to make one heck of a fruit.
Banana Nutrition – Minerals
The human body needs a very important kind of mineral which is found in bananas, and that mineral is called potassium.
What is potassium?
- As a muscle builder, potassium aids in the proper functionality of your cells, tissues and your whole body. It is a nutrient-electrolyte fruit that conducts electricity to the different parts of the body and in the process makes your muscles contract and relax.
- Potassium helps alleviate the feeling of depression with potassium being a viable treatment for mood swings. Thus conversely, a low level of potassium in the human system can lead to symptoms of depression.
- Potassium is a mineral that has been applauded for its role in lowering blood pressure. It reduces the risks of stroke and hypertension. It also protects the heart from fatty foods thus helping in lowering cholesterol levels.
Banana Nutrition – Vitamins
- These elongated yellow fruits are very high in Vitamin C. Because of this, bananas aid in building strong immune systems. It gives you protection from infectious diseases such as coughs, colds and the flu. This vitamin helps with the body’s absorption of iron which results in the formation of healthy blood cells.
- Vitamin B6 is another vitamin found readily in bananas. This nutrient aids in the proper functioning of the red blood cells. Furthermore, it promotes a healthy nervous system.
Banana Nutrition – Dietary Fiber
- Dietary fiber aids in the detoxification process of eliminating hazardous toxins, like unhealthy foods that may have been ingested into the body. By staying regular, you reduce the risk of constipation and colon cancer.
- Bananas are a great source of carbohydrates. For people in a weight loss program, the banana is a clean source of energy. While exercising, you are energized without the need for high calorie foods. The banana’s carbohydrates provide energy to exercise and its dietary fiber takes on the responsibility of making you stay satiated for a longer time. Bananas alleviate your cravings for sweets thus indirectly aiding in your weight loss regimen.
Bananas are available year round so there is never an issue of waiting for a specific season to buy them, but you probably already knew that.
Drop by the grocery store or supermarket and you will have a bunch of the yellow fruit at your disposal.
Filled with important nutrients that will keep the doctor away, bananas can be eaten raw, mashed, sliced and added as flavoring to yogurts or oatmeal. Plantain bananas can be cooked and turned into delectable deserts.
Since bananas have very mild flavor, they are great to go with meals, act as healthy snacks replacing cookies, cakes and ice cream.
There you have it, now you are more in tune with the nutritious snacks that are bananas.
Now that you know the benefits they provide you, hopefully you agree they are essential fuel for your body.